BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
April 24, 2018
The regular meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held April 24, 2018, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 103 Fort King George Drive, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, Jean Tinnin, TK King, and JR Grovner. Also present were President Wally Orrel, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Board Members: Ray Williams, Mitchell Smith, and attorney Jay Duncan were absent.
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting.
Chris Harper offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the agenda. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. Wally Orrel asked to delete the first item in the new business section.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the March 27, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the March 27, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by TK King. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the March 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that the legal fees came from Oaks on the River property closing. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions.
- Relocation of the IDA office has been scheduled for next week. Plan to move furniture out next week into new office and hope to be completely moved out in the next two weeks.
- We had a visit from an international company looking to build a 500,000 sq. ft facility that will employ 1,800 workers. We are competing against 4 counties in the state of Georgia and 2 in SC.
- Paving has been completed in the old section in Tidewaters Industrial Complex. Striping on the roads should be completed by May 18, 2018.
- Wally Orrel spoke about our 4-page Birthing Agreement that our boat owners sign when they dock at our long-term docks. Adding 2 rules explaining that we are not a liveaboard dock and to require unexpired identification of our boat owners. Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the updated Birthing Agreement. Cliff Sowell made the motion to approve the Birthing Agreement and TK King seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
- Meeting planned on May 1st with DDA board members to discuss 48-hour free dockage for travelers in the ICW.
- Art Lucas proposed changes to our agreement without soliciting our approval which reduces the restaurant/retail space by 75%.
- Met with a new company called The Mechanical Shop Inc. that will be coming to our County by the end of this year. They have 150 to 200 employees depending on contracts. The manager seems excited to get involved in our community.
- Sad to announce that TK King’s father passed away Thursday. King did an outstanding job raising great kids and did some great work in our County.
- Award to Chris Harper for understanding the difference between being interested and being committed.
MCIDA Board Member Reports – None at this time
Executive Session – Chris Harper asked Wally Orrel if there was a need for Executive Session, to which Wally replied yes. Chris Harper called for a motion to move into Executive Session to discuss real estate and personnel. Cliff Sowell made the motion to move into Executive Session and Jean Tinnin seconded the motion, the motion passes unanimously and at 6:23 p.m. the meeting moved into Executive Session.
At 7:39 p.m. the meeting moved out of Executive Session.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve selling two acres of connecting land in the Tidewaters Industrial Complex to the IDO-FTZ for $25,000 per acre under the terms of the recent transaction for 10-acres that would match the exact timeline. JR Grovner made the motion to approve the sale of the property. The motion was seconded by Jean Tinnin. The motion passes unanimously.
Announcements – None at this time
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Jean Tinnin made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, May 29, 2018, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 p.m. board meeting.