BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
November 24, 2020
The regular board meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held November 24, 2020, in the board room and video conference of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 211 Walton St, Darien, Georgia, at 9:00 a.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting when called to order: Chris Harper, Jean Tinnin, Cliff Sowell, Ray Williams, TK King and Davis Poole. Also, present were President Dawn Malin and Executive Assistant Teresa Lightsey.
Guest: Kathleen Russell
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting. Chris Harper read, Under circumstances necessitated by emergency conditions involving public safety or the preservation of property or public services agencies or committees thereof …. may meet by means of teleconference so long as the notice required by this chapter is provided and means are afforded for the public to have simultaneous access to the teleconference meeting. That is O.C.G.A. section 54-14-1(g)
Ray Williams offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Ray Williams made the motion to approve the agenda. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions, none were given. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the October 27, 2020 regular board meeting minutes. Davis Poole made the motion to approve the October 27, 2020 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by TK King. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the October 2020 financials which mirrored October 2019 with a little difference due to tax revenue shortfall this month. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. None were asked.
- Dawn Malin announced that Teresa Lightsey has been working on job portal for our website. Planning on sending information on job portal to Chamber member’s as soon as it is available.
- Dawn Malin announced that the broadband designation for McIntosh County is hoping to be completed in 2021.
- Dawn Malin gave an update on the sale of Lucas Property Condos. They have closed on 4 units with the 5th unit hopefully next week or so and the 6th unit will possibly close by the end of this year. So far, we have received $54,000 from the sale of the condos.
- Dawn Malin announced that the Project Manager Virtual Event ties back to SEGA who is working with Georgia Power to reconnect folks from Atlanta. Georgia Power team stayed in our community for 3 days. Each county made a video of our community with highlights.
- Dawn Malin announced that the City/DDA have approached us concerning the expansion of our boardwalk. Dawn Malin and Davis Poole will be involved with working with the City/DDA. It will be another 467’ of boardwalk that can be added to the existing boardwalk.
- Dawn Malin requested a motion to approve the annual letter of credit with Coastal Electric which secures the line of credit through USDA. Davis Poole made the motion to approve the letter of credit and Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously with Chris Harper abstaining.
- Dawn Malin gave an update on board of education. The new McIntosh County Superintendent is working with Glynn County Superintendent concerning the GICA facility. McIntosh County now has access to this wonderful facility.
- Chris Harper announced that Dawn sent out the draft 2021 budget for review. Dawn will be working with Cliff Sowell on this & looking to approve at our next board meeting.
Chris Harper asked if there was a need for Executive Session and Jay Duncan replied yes. Chris Harper called for a motion to move into Executive Session to discuss a project. Ray Williams made the motion to move into Executive Session and Cliff Sowell seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously and at 9:16 a.m. the meeting moved into Executive Session.
At 9:54 a.m. the meeting moved out of Executive Session to regular session with a motion to by Cliff Sowell and seconded by Ray Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
- A project that we have been involved in the Industrial Park need letters of support. Hopefully within the next 90 days we will know more concerning this project.
- Probably within the next 60 days we will know if we made the final selection for a project. They are currently working on financials.
- Berryfield Hotel Group bought Hampton Inn. The new manager David Monroe would like to work with us and be part of the community.
MCIDA Board Member Reports
- Davis Poole announced that the Rod & Gun Club annual 7th event was the best so far.
- Ray Williams announced that Sapelo Hammock is having a couple of charitable events. They also will be starting a children’s program called “Future Leaders Program.”
- TK King announced that he will be giving away masks, hand sanitizer, gloves, soap and sanitize wipes on November 25th – December 9
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Davis Poole made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously; the meeting adjourned at 10:07 a.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, December 9, 2020, 5:30 p.m. meeting.