BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
August 25, 2020
The regular board meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held August 25, 2020, in the board room and video conference of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 211 Walton St, Darien, Georgia, at 9:00 a.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting when called to order: Chris Harper, Jean Tinnin, Cliff Sowell, Ray Williams, TK King and Davis Poole. Also, present were President Dawn Malin, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Guest: Kathleen Russell
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting. Chris Harper read, Under circumstances necessitated by emergency conditions involving public safety or the preservation of property or public services agencies or committees thereof …. may meet by means of teleconference so long as the notice required by this chapter is provided and means are afforded for the public to have simultaneous access to the teleconference meeting. That is O.C.G.A. section 54-14-1(g)
Ray Williams offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Davis Poole made the motion to approve the agenda. TK King seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. Chris Harper requested to add under New Business the resignation of Buddy DeLoach. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the July 28, 2020 regular board meeting minutes Ray Williams made the motion to approve the July 28, 2020 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Davis Poole. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the July 2020 financials which mirrored July 2019 with a difference in a property sale. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. None were asked.
- Chris Harper announced that there is a need to discuss Project Seahorse in Executive Session so we will continue then move into Executive Session to discuss further.
- Dawn Malin announced that we have received all signatures for new Berthing fees account.
- Chris Harper announced that we are rolling back our millage rate for 2020 so that we are staying at same amount as last year. Public Hearing will be on September 3rd at 7:45 a.m. and the Called Meeting will be on September 3rd at 8 a.m.
- Chris Harper announced that there is a need to discuss TIC Covenants in Executive Session so we will continue then move into Executive Session for TIC Covenants.
- Dawn Malin announced that Mr. Lucas has offered part of our old deck in the back of our old office for public access. It needs a few improvements such as vinyl lattice work and a few items which is estimated to cost around two-three thousand for the repairs. Cliff Sowell requested a motion to approve the improvements on the viewing area. Ray Williams seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
- Chris Harper announced that Buddy DeLoach has resigned from MCIDA board. Chris Harper thanked Buddy DeLoach for his service and wished him the best.
Executive Session – Chris Harper asked if there was a need for Executive Session and Jay Duncan replied yes. Chris Harper called for a motion to move into Executive Session to site selection. Ray Williams made the motion to move into Executive Session and Davis Poole seconded the motion, the motion passed unanimously and at 9:17 a.m. the meeting moved into Executive Session.
At 10:19 a.m. the meeting moved out of Executive Session to regular session with a motion by Ray Williams and seconded by Jean Tinnin. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the increasing of the abatement from 5-year term to 10-year term, with incremental increases of 20 percent after year five for Project Seahorse. Davis Poole made the motion to increase the abatement from the 5-year term to 10-year term, with incremental increases of 20 percent after year five for Project Seahorse. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
- Work started this week at the old Jail Art Center
- Met with Eunice Moore about preserving cultural heritage and the role of private investment
- Outlet Mall
- Landscaping got cleaned up
- Change Landscaping company
- Openly looking for tenants
- Repurpose of malls webinar
- Arline & Wiggins will be sending our audit draft in the next week or so. They will be presenting at our next board meeting.
MCIDA Board Member Reports – None at this time
- Dawn Malin announced that we will have a public hearing concerning the 2020 Tax Digest on September 3rd at 7:45 a.m. and the Called Meeting on September 3rd at 8:00 a.m.
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Davis Poole made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously; the meeting adjourned at 10:31 a.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 8:30 a.m. workshop & 9:00 a.m. meeting.