BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
January 29, 2019
The regular board meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held January 29, 2019, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 211 Walton St, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting when called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, Jean Tinnin, Ray Williams, Buddy DeLoach, and Davis Poole. Also, present were President Dawn Malin, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Chris Harper introduced newly-sworn in Board Members Buddy DeLoach, Davis Poole and re-election of Jean Tinnin. Their terms are 01.01.2019-12.31.2022. Buddy DeLoach was appointed by McIntosh County Board of Commissioner Roger Lotson. Davis Poole was appointed by McIntosh County Board of Commissioner Kelly McCllelan. Jean Tinnin was re-appointed by McIntosh County Board of Commissioner Kate Karwacki. Mr. Harper welcomed new Board Members and the Board to the meeting.
Chris Harper offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the agenda. TK King seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. Chris Harper asked to change item number 4 in new business to an action item and the motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the December 11, 2018 regular board meeting minutes Ray Williams made the motion to approve the December 11, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Cliff Sowell. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the December and Year End 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that all of the revenue categories exceeded budgeted amounts. Expense items of note are the prepayment of the TIC loan and waterfront park expenses are over budget. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. None were asked.
- Chris Harper announced that the paving and striping in our Tidewaters Industrial Complex is finally complete.
- New Year Business Requirements:
- Chris Harper requested a motion to approve The Darien News as the legal organ for MCIDA. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve The Darien News. The motion was seconded by TK King. The motion carried unanimously.
- Chris Harper requested a motion to approve Southeastern Bank as the depository for MCIDA. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve Southeastern Bank. The motion was seconded by Buddy DeLoach. The motion carried unanimously. Chris Harper abstained.
- Cliff Sowell made the motion to approve Chris Harper as chairman of MCIDA. The motion was seconded by Jean Tinnin. The motion carried unanimously.
- TK King made the motion to approve Jean Tinnin as vice-chairman of MCIDA. The motion was seconded by Buddy DeLoach. The motion carried unanimously.
- Jean Tinnin made the motion approve Cliff Sowell as secretary/treasurer. The motion was seconded by Ray Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
- Chris Harper requested a motion to approve Cliff Sowell as Board Appointee to SEGA. Ray Williams made the motion to approve Board Appointee to SEGA. The motion was seconded by TK King. The motion carried unanimously.
- Blessing of the Fleet requests to use waterfront park, outside docks, from April 5-7, 2019 and the pond at Tidewaters Industrial Complex for Kid’s Rodeo on Saturday April 6th. Chris Harper requested a motion to approve Blessing of the Fleet. Attorney Jay Duncan requested a copy of insurance listing MCIDA as additional named insured. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve Blessing of the Fleet. The motion was seconded by Davis Poole. The motion carried unanimously.
- Chris Harper announced that for 2019 McIntosh County still qualifies for Tier 1 status.
- Chris Harper requested a motion to approve changing the monthly board meeting dates from the last Tuesday of each month to the last Monday of each month. The location and times will remain the same. Ray Williams made the motion to approve the change of the monthly board meeting dates. The motion was seconded by Cliff Sowell. The motion carried unanimously.
- November 29, Public bridge design input meeting at the CRC. Discussed wish list for bridge style. The next meeting with GDOT will be on Friday February 1st.
- SEGA Alliance had our annual retreat December 3 & 4 and will lay out our marketing plan for 2019. The DIVE supplier conference for the region will be on May 1 & 2 at Jekyll Island. Focusing on the marine and air industries and military contracting.
- Attended Grits and Issues sponsored by the Brunswick Golden Isle COC on Dec. 14th. State Legislators were there to talk about priorities for 2019. Jeff Jones talked about the Oyster bill.
- January 7th toured the Golden Island International plant on HWY 251. The Revolving Loan committee recommended that the county extend the DCA funds to them in the form of a loan. As this loan is repaid the money stays in the county to be used for future projects.
- January 9th, we had the ground breaking of the Lucas Project Phase 1.
- Meeting to discuss the filming of the Excursion, with one or two segments in Mcintosh County. Focus on Natural resources, Historical and Hospitality.
- On January 15th the Army Corp issued a five-year extension of our wetland permit. Our new extension will expire on January 30, 2024. Alton Brown stated that our involvement in the coastal coalition played a big part in the favorable outcome.
- January 15th was also the second meeting of the McIntosh County disaster recovery and Redevelopment plan.
- Spoke with project Winston, we are still the number one site in Georgia.
Executive Session – Chris Harper asked if there was a need for Executive Session and Jay Duncan replied no.
MCIDA Board Member Reports
- Buddy DeLoach stated that he was very happy to be part of the MCIDA. Davis Poole agreed with Buddy DeLoach that he was happy to be part of the MCIDA too.
- January 31 – Business Expo 5-7:30 Jekyll Island Convention Center
- February 1 – GDOT and McIntosh Now Bridge design meeting 10 at the 911 center, 10919 Production Row, Darien, GA 31305
- February 1-3 – LSEGA Glynn County
- February 8 – Amy Carter and team
- February 11 – Economic Outlook Luncheon, Jekyll Island
- February 16 – Keep McIntosh Beautiful Oyster Roast & BBQ
- February 18 – GEDA Atlanta
- February 20 – SEGA – Brunswick
- February 23 – Darien Lions Oyster Roast
- March 9 – Chamber Golf outing
- March 16 – McIntosh Rod & Gun Club Roast on the Coast
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Ray Williams made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 6:40 p.m.
Next meeting will be Monday, February 25, 2019, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 pm meeting.