BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
October 30, 2018
The regular board meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held October 30, 2018, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 211 Walton St, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, Jean Tinnin, Ray Williams, and TK King. Also, present were President Dawn Malin, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Board Members: Mitchell Smith was absent.
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting.
Ray Williams offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Cliff Sowell made the motion to approve the agenda. Ray Williams seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. None were given and the motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the September 25, 2018 regular board meeting minutes Ray Williams made the motion to approve the September 25, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by TK King. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the September 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that the tax revenues and expenditures were similar compared to September 2017, but the difference was receiving a payment late. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. None were asked.
- Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the December board meeting date for December 11th. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the December board meeting date change for December 11th. The motion was seconded by Cliff Sowell. The motion carried unanimously.
- Dawn Malin announced that we are still being considered for a project after months of research from the site selectors. The company has even requested a memorandum of investment and researching construction bids.
- Dawn Malin announced that she attended the GDOT bridge meeting this month. The bridge committee with McIntosh Now and many others was there to discuss with the engineering firm the decisions to be made concerning the replacement of the Darien bridge. As of now, the construction will begin early 2021 allowing one lane of traffic for a year and the next year will allow for 2 lanes of traffic. The bridge is estimated to be expanded in width by 22 feet.
- Dawn Malin announced that Art Lucas has applied for a demolition permit with the City for the smaller buildings for phase 1 (condos). He also has scheduled a meeting with GDOT concerning the Darien bridge widening.
- Chris Harper announced that him and Dawn attended an Oyster Farming meeting held at the CRC today with the State, DNR, Agriculture, local fishermen and others to discuss the process of oyster farming. It was very positive with what the benefits could be for us. More to come on this matter.
- Dawn Malin asked for suggestions concerning our dumpster under the bridge and how it is being used for construction overflow which is costing us additional fees. She suggested adding trash cans in the waterfront park.
- Chris Harper announced that JR Grovner resigned last week as board member of our McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority board due to his work schedule. Chris Harper thanked him for his service and wished him the best.
Executive Session – Chris Harper asked if there was a need for Executive Session and Jay replied no.
- Attended the Rural Prosperity Summit in Tifton where issues with housing and transportation was discussed.
- WTC Savannah hosted a County Wexford group where businesses are looking for distribution outlets.
- SEGA Alliance is working on a supplier conference for the region focusing on marine and air industries.
- Visited UGA Oyster Hatchery on Skidaway along with Jeff Jones to discuss Oyster Farming.
- McIntosh Now had a meeting of their steering committee on October 19th. Next meeting TBD.
- ICSC (International Conference Shopping Centers) in Atlanta and was able to get better contacts with brokers and understand what NextSite can do for us.
- State of the Ports luncheon on 10/25 learned that our ports are continuously growing.
- Educate McIntosh held their ribbon cutting for new Board of Education office. Over 750 people attended the event.
- Oyster Farming Stakeholder meeting was today and had a great turnout. Commissioner of DNR & Wildlife Federation attended along with locals.
MCIDA Board Member Reports – None were given
- TK King announced that he will be giving away food and drinks on Halloween night starting at 5pm located at the lot next to O’Reilly auto part store.
- Dawn Malin announced that McIntosh Chamber will be holding their Annual Chamber Silent Auction at Skipper’s from 5:30-8:30 on Monday night 11/5.
- Dawn Malin announced that the Darien Fall Festival will be held this weekend and there will food, crafts, activities and music. Sunday from 12-2 there will be an Army 20-piece band at our waterfront park.
- Dawn Malin announced that on November 11th there will be a Veteran’s Day event at our waterfront park with great music and a fundraiser for a local resident.
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Cliff Sowell made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Jean Tinnin seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 p.m. board meeting.