BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
March 27, 2018
The regular meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held March 27, 2018, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 103 Fort King George Drive, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, Ray Williams, Jean Tinnin, and JR Grovner. Also present were President Wally Orrel, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Board Members: TK King and Mitchell Smith was absent.
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting.
Chris Harper offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the agenda. Ray Williams seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. None were given and the motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the February 27, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. Ray Williams made the motion to approve the February 27, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by JR Grovner. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the February 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that the revenues were substantially higher thru February 2017 due to selling property and expenses were higher due to applying the $250,000 from the sale to pay the loan down. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. Ray Williams asked if there was a balance on the Industrial Park loan and Wally Orrel responded yes, a little over $100,000 balance remains.
- Wally Orrel announced that the paving for the old section of Tidewaters Industrial Complex will be starting within 2-3 weeks and will be completed by May 18, 2018.
- Wally Orrel announced that MCIDA Bluff property with Oaks on the River II has closed with engineers working already and is progressing as planned.
- Wally Orrel announced that Smith & Son Expansion has signed the agreement that was approved at the last board meeting. This selling of less than 1/5 of an acre will allow them to construct a 37,000 square foot facility, cold storage, and create 15 additional jobs for our community.
- Wally Orrel announced that the relocation of IDA office has been scheduled and plan to be moved into new office soon. Wally Orrel called for a motion for Chris Harper to sign the rental lease that attorney Jay Duncan has reviewed. Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the relocation and for Chris Harper to sign the rental lease. The motion was seconded by Cliff Sowell. The motion carried unanimously.
- Chris Harper announced that the search for the new President for the IDA is coming to an end on March 31st. Planning on reviewing resumes next week.
- Wally Orrel announced that there was a major project meeting on Monday. The company that visited us wants to be close to the Savannah port. There are 4 counties in Georgia involved and they want to be able to choose a site within the next 4-months.
- As discussed at last month’s workshop, IDO-FTZ is requesting to extend agreement until December 2018. Ray Williams made the motion to approve the extend the agreement and allowing Chris Harper to sign documents for the extension and was seconded by Cliff Sowell. Discussion followed for clarification. The motion carried unanimously.
- Bridge Committee had their meeting yesterday and information about the meeting will be in published in the Darien News.
- Also, we had a visit from an international company looking to build a 500,000 sq ft facility that will employ 1,800 workers.
- Blessing of the Fleet will be starting on Thursday, April 12th and ending on Sunday, April 15th. Thursday night will start off as a free event with live music and the normal events starting on Friday at 5.
MCIDA Board Member Reports – None at this time
Executive Session – Chris Harper asked attorney Jay Duncan if there was a need for Executive Session, to which Mr. Duncan replied no.
Announcements – None at this time
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Cliff Sowell made the motion to adjourn the meeting, JR Grovner seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 6:23p.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 p.m. board meeting.