BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
July 31, 2018
The regular meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held July 31, 2018, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 211 Walton St, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, Jean Tinnin, and Ray Williams. Also present were President Dawn Malin, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Board Members: JR Grovner, Mitchell Smith and TK King were absent.
Guest: Paul Nix and Pete Snell
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting.
Chris Harper offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Ray Williams made the motion to approve the agenda. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. None were given and the motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the June 26, 2018 regular board meeting minutes Jean Tinnin made the motion to approve the June 26, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Ray Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the June 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that the main difference in net income compared to June 2017 was the property sale of 2 acres to IDO. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. None were asked.
- Paving has been completed however still waiting on the striping on the roads in the old section in Tidewaters Industrial Complex. Our engineer sent letter to contractor to give us a date when the striping will be completed. If striping has not been completed by set date, then penalties could occur.
- Water System Agreement with County has begun, and the County has sent out letters notifying customers of the changes.
- We are still competing for 2 different projects in our County with one of the projects employing 1,800 workers and the other employing 280 workers.
- Coast Guard came out this month and painted “Life Jacket Zone” at the bottom of our ramp to remind boaters to wear a life jacket for their safety.
- Wetland Permit Renewal is expiring soon and we are currently working on getting a 10-15 year permit extension.
- Jenny Wiggins and Shari Lopez with Arline + Wiggins presented the 2017 audit results and concluded that our audit was clean and no subsequent events have occurred that would require recognition in the financial statements or disclosure in the notes to the financial statements. Board Members were given copies to review and the audit will be placed on next month’s agenda for approval.
- Dawn Malin is hoping to enter into an agreement with Art Lucas concerning the main stairs allowing public access to the waterfront park and also allowing us to maintain landscape surrounding the stairs.
- Dawn Malin stated that she has been in contact with the owner of the outlet mall and he will be coming down in a few weeks to meet with her and work on a plan to work together to make the outlet mall successful.
- Cliff Sowell and I met with Mark Yeager on July 2, 2018 to discuss his concerns about the Lucas project.
- Met with Charles Ezelle with Thomas and Hutton. Discussed options for the wetlands certificate renewal.
- Had a meeting with Art Lucas. Discussed the restaurant and time schedule for the condos. Also talked about the public access to the main steps leading to the waterfront.
- Meeting with WTC Savannah
- Met with Jeff Jones, discussed the legislation he wants to propose allowing oyster farming and sales off the McIntosh coast.
- McIntosh Now steering committee meeting was on the 17th
- Met with Al Burns of the CRC to discuss the upcoming loan that is due.
- Conference call with Tony Argento
- Met with the BOE on the college and Career Academy Planning
- Meeting with Buddy Carter and the Coastal Plain Coalition
MCIDA Board Member Reports – None were given
- Chris Harper announced the McIntosh County schools will be starting back next week.
- Dawn Malin announced that McIntosh County BOE has hired 22 new teachers for this school year.
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. Cliff Sowell made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Ray Williams seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 6:15 p.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, August 28, 2018, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 p.m. board meeting.