BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Regular Board Meeting Minutes
February 27, 2018
The regular meeting of the McIntosh County Industrial Development Authority (MCIDA) was held February 27, 2018, in the board room of the Industrial Development Authority Office, 103 Fort King George Drive, Darien, Georgia, at 6:00 p.m., Chairman, Chris Harper, called the meeting to order.
Board Members present at meeting called to order were: Chris Harper, Cliff Sowell, TK King, Ray Williams, JR Grovner and Mitchell Smith. Also present were President Wally Orrel, Attorney Jay Duncan, and Executive Assistant Teresa Gibson.
Board Members: Jean Tinnin was absent.
Guest: Britt Smith
Chris Harper welcomed the Board to the meeting.
Chris Harper offered the invocation which was followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the American Flag.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the agenda. Cliff Sowell made the motion to approve the agenda. Ray Williams seconded the motion. Mr. Harper asked if there were any changes, additions, or deletions. Wally Orrel replied yes that there is a need to move into the Executive Session and Chris Harper called for it to be the third item at the meeting and the motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the January 30, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. Mitchell Smith made the motion to approve the January 30, 2018 regular board meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Cliff Sowell. The motion carried unanimously.
Chris Harper asked Cliff Sowell for the Treasurer’s Report. Dr. Sowell spoke to the Board about the January 2018 financials. Dr. Sowell reviewed the financials and explained that the revenues were substantially higher then January 2017 due to selling property and tax revenues were coming in late compared to the prior year. Dr. Sowell asked the Board if they had any questions. No questions were asked.
Chris Harper asked Jay Duncan if there was a need for Executive Session and Mr. Duncan replied yes. Chris called for a motion to move into Executive Session to discuss Personnel, Legal, and Real Estate. Ray Williams made the motion to move into Executive Session and JR Grovner seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously and at 6:12 p.m. the meeting moved into Executive Session.
At 6:59 p.m. the meeting moved out of Executive Session to regular session with a motion by TK King and seconded by Mitchell Smith. The motion carried unanimously.
- Wally Orrel announced that the paving bid for the old section of Tidewaters Industrial Complex was approved and the work will begin after March 5, 2018 and will end on May 18, 2018.
- Wally Orrel announced that MCIDA Bluff property with Oaks on the River II closing requires a 10-day extension and is expected to close on property on March 10th. Chris Harper requested a motion to approve the extension. Mitchell Smith made the motion to approve the extension. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
- Wally Orrel announced that MCIDA is saving $11,875 in interest annually from paying down debt at Southeastern Bank.
- Ray Williams requested a motion to approve the change of the designated time off for MCIDA employees to a program called PTO (Paid Time Off). Mitchell Smith made the motion to approve the change of MCIDA employees time off. Cliff Sowell seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously.
- Cliff Sowell requested a motion to approve the Smith & Son’s expansion by 1/10th of an acre in the Tidewaters Industrial Complex. This will allow them to add more cold storage and offer more jobs to our community. Mitchell Sowell made the motion to approve the expansion. The motion was seconded by Ray Williams. The motion carried unanimously.
- Wally Orrel announced that IDO has closed all storefronts at the Darien Outlet Mall.
- Wally Orrel, Cliff Sowell, and Teresa Gibson have been researching for a potential office for MCIDA.
- He announced that he is working with GA Power and Thomas & Hutton Engineering Company concerning a Spec building in the Tidewaters Industrial Complex. Having that can lead to better things and bring jobs to our area.
- He announced that several of us attended the 2018 Georgia Economic Outlook series: Coastal event on Jekyll. Unemployment rates is down to 4.5% from 5.4% the year prior. Retail revenues were up 1.7% first time in 15 plus years.
- He announced that he is working with Southeast GA Alliance to have an event that can bring site selectors and others that can help bring industries to our area.
MCIDA Board Member Reports
- Ray Williams announced that the Sapelo Hammock Golf Club has paid off their debt of over $700,000.
- Chris Harper announced The Annual Chamber Golf Outing on March 10, 2018.
- Chris Harper announced The 50th Annual Blessing of the Fleet on April 13-15, 2018.
- Chris Harper announced The Annual McIntosh County Sheriff’s Golf Outing on May 19,2018
Chris Harper called for a motion to adjourn the meeting. JR Grovner made the motion to adjourn the meeting, Mitchell Smith seconded the motion. The motion carried unanimously, the meeting adjourned at 7:19 p.m.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 5:00 p.m. workshop and 6:00 p.m. board meeting.